Background

Sunday, August 8, 2010

On top of the world

Today was a-m-a-z-i-n-g. One of the huge things I wanted to do when I was in Denver was go to the top of Mount Evans. AND THAT I DID!! :) You feel like you're on top of the world. You are literally IN the clouds. It's an insane drive though. It is the highest paved road. I wish someone else had been driving so I could have taken pictures because you are literally on the edge of cliffs. There were so many cars but I still found myself asking "do people actually drive this?!" I had to drive about an hour or so outside of Denver and then up the mountain. Once you get to the base of the actual peak, it's another 15 miles up. The summit is at 14,000 feet (more than 2.5 miles). That didn't sound all that high when I thought about it...but that fleeting thought makes me a total moron. It definitely makes you wonder if you are scared of heights. :) Thankfully I made it to the top in once piece.
Little did I know there was a little hike at the end of this HOUR DRIVE UP THE MOUNTAIN! It really wasn't that high...but coming down was a bit more crazy. I sort of lost the trail down so ended up just sort of...hiking down rocks. Which I guess is really what people in Colorado do all the time...but lets be honest. I'm from Dallas. I know how to get 10 hours worth of shopping into 1 and know my way around a bottle of hairspray. I don't hike up mountains that are 14,000 feet UP. So I was very proud of myself. The picture just to the right of this is the little hill I hiked down. Is it stupid that I'm super proud? OH WELL! I don't care if it is! I'm so lame when it comes to outside activities (probably because I live in Dallas where it feels like hell when you walk out of our overly air conditioned buildings and physical activity sounds about as good as a punch in the face) but I would love to be able to crank that area of my life up a bit. Maybe I need to move to Denver. THOUGHTS ANYONE??!! :) Today was awesome. So so so beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment