Background

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Jump back, Martha Stewart

So...I guess most people work better when they are busy (right?) but I REALLY work better when I'm busy. If I don't stay totally on top of being busy, having a new project, etc. I fall in to this terribly lazy slump and I don't do anything. Literally. I come home from work, and sit on my couch. I THINK, "I should clean" or "I should start that new project" but I don't. It takes some big event (or irritation) to get me out of my lazy-coma. About a month ago I had such event (that's a whole 'nother story) and decided I needed some more...productive...ways to spend my time. PROJECT!!!

Dialing landlord: "Hey, this is Elizabeth from 4105. Question. Do you care if I paint my kitchen cabinets? Let's be real...they're heinous." [27 year old kid who works for Dad (my landlord) and has really no authority at all]: "Um, no. I don't care. Josh (his 29 year old brother and even LESS authority)? Do you care if someone at 4105 paints their cabinets? No. That's cool" "Great. THANKS!
By the way...we need to talk about my appliances...but first things first..." And scene.
So...no one tells you how much of a pain in the a$% it is to paint cabinets. I thought, yeah...it will take awhile. Take off the doors, paint the insides and outside, put them back on...but, no. I have the smallest kitchen ever and I wanted to kill myself half way in to it. The only thing that kept me going was I wanted to start on a new quilt (why yes I AM 82 years old...thank you) and I promised myself I couldn't start on that until the cabinets were done. My energy for completing this project really tapered off at the end but somehow I managed to finished it. [Disclaimer: When I use the word "finished" I mean it appears to be finished. There may or may not be a few doors that haven't been painted on the inside. Shh.]
So seriously...it looks like I'm living in a different apartment. It was so heinous it was embarrassing. I guess I should also mention I did my bathroom at the same time which is why it was more of a beating than I thought. Next on my apartment improvement list: jimmy my appliances so they break and can be replaced. I think they were purchased in 1967.

No comments:

Post a Comment